Friday, August 20, 2010

In Which I Talk about the Gods

Gods, Gods, Gods,and more Gods. As someone recently said, "the Gods are not Pokemon"; so I guess this means we don't need to collect them all. For the most part, I work with only four different deities.

Concerning these deities; some days I am a hard polytheist (they are all separate real entities);other days I am a squishy polytheist (there are a small amount of deities that every culture has experienced and has made their own cultural version of these beings. An example of this might be Loki and Coyote are different cultural expressions of the same God); some days I am of the forces of nature; and some days I am rather agnostic.

I have had very real encounters with these four, but some days it is really easy to dismiss it as being all in my head. It is easy to dismiss, and yet hard; when you have felt a Goddess like Freya enter your being (one of my four).

Let me take Loki for an example (also one of the four), some days he is fire and all that implies. Fire is powerful, it cooks our food, provides us warmth, and gives us light; on the other hand, fire can burn our house down, it can consume our flesh, and is extremely deceiving.
To me, this is exactly who Loki is. As a Joton , he is one of the primal forces (much the way the Titians are in the Greek myths). In this way Loki is a protector of the hearth, a God of Wit, and a chaotic tricksy bastard (hey, I love him!) From him the Aesir gain their best equipment (Thor gets his hammer, Odin his spear and horse)

Also in my life is Cerridwyn, the keeper of the cauldron. She has shown herself to me in several visions and has given me my name (and nope, not gonna share it). She is always kind and hugs me. I sit by her fire at her cottage in the wood and we talk like mother and daughter. She has given me sage advice and for that I thank her!

Last, but not least as they say, is Pan. Lord of the wild mountain tops and of pastures (both wild and tame, suits him well). He only recently began paying me visits; also in he form of visions; and much like Freya; I have felt his presence as he lay himself over my soul. I even felt like I had horns on my head, and goat feet during this. I am still learning his presence, but I get the feeling he and I will do just fine together.

I have been feeling of late that Eris is another who should be added to the list. I am waiting till I know for sure if I right in her and Loki tag teaming in my life, or if it is just Loki ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment